Show'n'Shine

Return to Entries

1985 Suzuki MIGHTY BOY 300KG

History

I purchased the shell of a mightyboy a few years ago with the intention of building something custom together with some mates and my father (who had recently retired). It was meant to be a little project to get some father-son bonding time in and to get some mates around mostly just to have a chat. It sat on its side on the ground completely stripped for about a year as life got in the way, until the start of last year when the work really began. Unfortunately my father passed away in the middle of last year just a few days after summernats had invited the car to be unveiled in January 6 months later. There was debate about whether to finish the car or just forget about it as it had become an emotional topic. Fortunately i had some good mates around me who convinced me we had to get it done at least for my old mans sake even if he wasn't here to see the finished product. Everyone enjoyed lending a hand and having a chat, was a good project to get blokes round to open up and talk about whats on their mind as its not something blokes do very often. The entire car was built in my garage in about 9 months total, no hoist, no specialty tools, no lathe/drillpress/metal bender/etc. All we had was a 4" grinder and a welder and thats what was used to build the entire car, everything was custom fabricated in the shed by myself with the help of a few mates. There were many problems and issues building a full chassis + components from scratch but we overcame them all to end up with a finished product. It came out of the spray booth 2 days before summernats and we almost didn't make it there. The car assembly and finishing touches were being done under the car cover while the car was parked in the pavillion at summernats. No one (including myself) had seen the car fully assembled or complete until the actual night of the unveil when they pulled the car cover off. It was a big project that was undertaken with little knowledge, tools or facilities but it paid off when the car was finally there on show. It was built on a very very low budget, in a very short space of time and was competing with some of the wildest most expensive built cars in the country. Seeing so many kids and younger generations love the car made it all worth it, hopefully inspiring future generations to build the car of their dreams knowing you can do it if you put your mind to it, you don't need fancy tools or deep pockets, just some good mates and a 'dont quit' attitude.

Modifications

• RWD Conversion
• Mazda Rotary 13B Engine Full Bridge Port
• Rx4 5 Speed Manual Transmission
• Engine bay fully shaved
• Gilmer Drive
• Trumpet Air Intake
• Custom Ignition Leads
• MicroTech Ecu
• Dual Exhaust system w/ side pipes on switched valves
• All Braided lines and aeroflow fittings
• 4" wide front steel wheels