Return to MarkOastler's garage

No Comments
No Likes
Published on 23 February 2017

Thanks fellas, I really enjoy reading your comments. Regarding the two-door show car based on an XT Falcon, I spoke to Al Turner about that mysterious machine and he confirmed that once its motor show days were over it was returned to the engineering department and eventually sent to the crusher as it had no local compliance etc. Sad but true. The Bill Bourke Special with the 428 Cobra Jet engine and all was hand-built in Detroit under Ford boss Semon 'Bunkie' Knudsen as a 'company car' for Bourke to drive because he was doing such a great job with the Ford brand in Australia. Thankfully that amazing car has survived. I'm proud to say that when I was editor of Australian Muscle Car, we were the first magazine to get the full story behind that car because I tracked down Bill in the US and interviewed him on the phone not long before he died. He did confirm though that Ford had no intention of following his company car's example and shoehorning big block 7.0 litre V8s into local GT-HO Falcons. He said he was getting enough grief from the road safety crusaders with 'only' 5.8 litre engines!