Return to JB007's garage

No Comments
No Likes
Published on 06 November 2023

Convertibles roughly fall into two categories for me. The dedicated two seater sports roadster. The original MG and now the MX5 etc. And then the cruiser four seater based on a sedan. BMW 3/4 and M Benz C/E etc. Four years ago I looked at a new MX5 but it was way too small for me at 188 cm. Then sat in a M Benz SLK but still too small plus awkward looking with the metal roof up. Originally, I wanted a Z4 with the 2.5 or 3.0 NA six. But these were series one with round tail lights and a rag roof. The series two Z4 had neater tail lights and the metal folding roof. Disappointing they only came with 2.0 four and the 3.0 six but both turbocharged. I finished buying a six year old 28i with the bigger boosted four at 186 kW and 365 N.m. All the power I ever need. I fit into it snug and comfortable for long periods. I have now found if the sun out or temperatures above 22 C, wet or damp I drive it roof up and air conditioner on as a coupe. That is about 90% of the time. For me I came to the conclusion that a convertible is best as a softer cruiser and a sports car best as a coupe. The Z4 has ticketed both boxes for and is still very pleased with it purchased. The other month I saw a 1965 two door Galaxie convertible and nails the convertible for me.